Delhi Street Food
- Golgappas– Puffed, crunchy spheres, stuffed with spicy filling, and brimming with spice-infused flavored water, golgappas can be eaten endlessly. Some hotels also serve vodka filled golgappas. Quite a fusion! I can’t resist quoting the already famous tagline here, “No one can eat just one”.
- Dilli Chat- An exceptional combination of potatoes, spices, and chutney; this is a mouthwatering delight.
- Chhole kulche/ bhature– Soft, crisp, puffed deep fried bread is served with delicious chickpeas, cooked in selective spices. Filling and delicious!
- Chinese comestibles- Hailing from the neighborhood, dimsums, thupka, chilli potato, noodles, Manchurian, and fried rice have become the order of the day. Hungry? Hit a stall nearby to satiate your hunger pangs with these tasty food items.
- Rolls –Hungry but on your toes? Grab a roll. Bread stuffed with grilled chicken, minced meat, omelet, cottage cheese, veggies, and various food items and rolled, serves a delicious and filling pick on the go.
- Kebabs- Ah! Juicy, exotic flattened balls or rolled ones made of minced meat or veggies served with onion rings and chutney. Irresistible!
- Paratha- Stuffed breads with potato, cottage cheese, cauliflower, egg, chillies, chicken and the list is endless. Think of a stuffing and it will be on your platter. Are you visiting Chandni Chowk? Don’t miss the Parathewali Gali to gobble these stuffed breads.
- Biryani- Who can resist the aroma and flavor of basmati rice cooked with handpicked spices, saffron and clarified butter to create a magical affair? Biryani is one such scrumptious dish that hails from the times of Mughals and has continued to tempt foodies for centuries. Vegetarian or non-vegetarian, this is a symbol of culinary craftsmanship of the Mughal chefs that is celebrated till date with enthusiasm. Truly drool worthy!
- Rabdi- Here I fall short of words and go yum! Thick consistency of milk, sweetened with a generous dollop of dry fruits! Have a mouthful and be transported to flavor paradise.
- Jalebi- Concentric circles dipped in sugar syrup to soak it and savored hot! A superb breakfast!
- Kulfi- Sweet lollies blessed with flavors like pista and badam, and sprinkled with dry fruits. Licking a creamy, flavor enriched stick was never so pleasing.
- Gulab Jamun- Balls of cheese cottage, deep fried and soaked in sugar syrup can make everyone salivate! Team it with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. Heaven!
- Gajar Halwa- Carrot grated and cooked with clarified butter, sugar, milk and dry fruits. A blessing in disguise of a dessert. Two thumbs up!